Specialties Within Physical Therapy
The physical therapy profession is diverse and full of various specialties. Physical therapists practice in a variety of settings, including hospitals, outpatient clinics, rehabilitation facilities, schools, and wellness centers. Let’s dive in to learn more about the different specialties within physical therapy, and learn more about how our services can help you find your dream job here!
Where Can I Practice as a Physical Therapist?
Physical therapists can work in different types of settings, including:¹ ²
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Outpatient Clinics
- Patients’ Private Homes
- Sports Settings
- Travel Physical Therapy
What Are the Specialties Within Physical Therapy?
Physical therapists can offer their expertise and services within a variety of specialties, and may even choose to pursue an advanced specialist certification. Advanced specialist certifications acknowledge physical therapists who have attained exceptional knowledge and experience within a certain field of physical therapy.³ Certifications are available within:
- Wound Management
- Women’s Health
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary
- Clinical Electrophysiology
Physical therapists can attain multiple specialist certifications throughout their careers. However, physical therapists are not required to attain specialist certifications in order to work within that field. For example, many outpatient clinics do not require physical therapists to have advanced certifications within orthopaedics to practice at their clinics.
Physical therapy is a dynamic and flexible career. Throughout a therapist’s career, they can work im different settings and/or within different specialties.
- Becoming a Physical Therapist. https://www.apta.org/your-career/careers-in-physical-therapy/becoming-a-pt. Accessed December 28, 2020.
- Fraticelli T. Where Can Physical Therapists Work? PTProgress. https://www.ptprogress.com/where-physical-therapists-work/. Published November 17, 2018. Accessed December 28, 2020.
- About Specialist Certification. ABPTS. https://specialization.apta.org/about-specialist-certification. Published August 6, 2020. Accessed December 28, 2020.